Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Roasted Squash Seeds

Here is a great snack that my kids, and John and I, enjoy. They are really simple to prepare with only a few ingredients. You can use any seeds from squash or pumpkins.

Separate seeds from pulp. Place in a colander and rinse any remaining pulp off. Lay onto a paper towel or clean dishcloth and pat to dry. I usually leave them sitting out for a while until I get to them a while later. Then I know they are plenty dry enough to roast.

Place dry seeds in a bowl, drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. You only need enough to coat, don't overdo it, you can always add more if you need it. Too much will make them greasy.

Sprinkle with your favorite seasonings. I usually use sea salt, organic garlic powder, and organic onion powder. Crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper is great too! Play around with different flavors. If you've collected enough seeds you can make a few different types to appeal to your snackers!

"Slow and low" is always best when roasting seeds. Preheat oven to 275* and roast on a baking pan for about 40 minutes or until nicely browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment