Thursday, April 22, 2010

~Joe's Favorite Kale Chips




In this house we all love kale in soups, but I honestly have never had it prepared any other way. I bought a HUGE bunch of kale for $.99 at the market. Seriously, it was a HUGE bunch. I used it for some homemade Zuppa Toscana Soup (recipe to come soon) and still had tons left over. This is one super healthy food that is very affordable, and one bunch can be stretched a long way!

In my quest for healthier options for my family, I came across a recipe for Kale Chips. Admittedly, I was very skeptical that I could pull these off and get my kids, or husband, for that matter, to eat them. And LIKE them! But, I decided to give them a shot! And boy am I glad I did! We all love them. They taste surprisingly, just like a potato chip! What a wonderful, healthy alternative!
The health benefits of this super food are plentiful. Just to name a few, it's loaded with fiber, vitamin A, and it's a superb source of calcium!

So get your hand out of the greasy potato chip bag and give these a try! Their totally easy to make and don't take much time whatsoever!
What you'll need to make Kale Chips:
  • a bunch of kale (wash and spin or shake off water, you don't want wet kale)
  • olive oil
  • sea salt (to taste)

Preheat oven to *325 degrees.

Tear kale off of its stem into bite size pieces. Place onto a baking sheet and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat. Sprinkle with sea salt. I toss it all with my hands, makes it much easier to coat evenly and spread them into a single layer.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, turning at about 7 minutes to ensure even crispness. Crispness? Is that even a word? Well it is now!
They should come out crisp and lightly browned on the edges. Be careful, once they start to brown they WILL burn quickly!
Cool and enjoy!
I've stored whatever is left (which isn't much after Joe gets his hands on them) in a container at room temperature and they kept well for the short time they stuck around! So I'm not too sure how long they will keep for! I'm sure you won't have many left to worry about it though!

3 comments:

  1. I have left them out overnight and eaten them in the morning and they were still crisp. Next time we have some left over, I might try it with eggs the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget that Kale is loaded with the blood clotting Vitamin K!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try these. My hubby is a slow clotter.- maybe he's short on K?

    ReplyDelete